Resonant Enigma Too: Purpose

I'm making this into an "Art Blog"; more painting and drawing, less aimless wandering and whatnot. Not that there's anything wrong with that ...

Click pictures in posts to enlarge

Friday, September 2, 2016

Yesterday and today...

~
Um, actually the "Yesterday" is about 30 yrs. ago, and the "today" is...well, yesterday.

First is a ballpoint sketch in my little 3.5x5" sketchpad, made yesterday at approximately the same spot as the following oil painting, which was made back in the 90's from photos I took back in the 80's.
The tree out in the field in the painting has been replaced by an 80 foot power pole in the sketch, and in the painting where there's a break in the mid-distance tree line, showing more distant trees down by the creek where as a kid I hunted rabbits and stegosaurus, in the sketch has been replaced by, on the left there, a bypass going right over the creek.
"Progress." It is a nice lonely stretch of road, skirting the south side of town, which if I have time I'll try to capture some of, before it gets all commercialized.


I don't know if you can tell but the larger painting (18x24") was done during my "Bob Ross period," ;) using mainly his tools and methods. I struggled with this scene for months and then knocked it out his way in about 2 or 3 sessions. I still want to do it over in my own style though...


Afterthought: 8x10" oil study of the tree break, done just before the above painting.





~


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the 2 painted landscapes.

A. Decker said...

Thanks Nicola.