Resonant Enigma Too: Purpose

I'm making this into an "Art Blog"; more painting and drawing, less aimless wandering and whatnot. Not that there's anything wrong with that ...

Click pictures in posts to enlarge

Thursday, November 22, 2018

"We blew it."

~
A line from the movie; you'll see in a minute.
I took this old thing down off the wall at Mom's house, where it's been hanging, apparently, since 1975. An oil painting on Masonite I did for a gift; it's about 16"x14" and the subject was a "real" plastic bowling pin converted to a planter; that's a live flower -- of whatever kind, I forget -- and Mom's actual bowling ball behind.
The real treat, for me however, was what I found on the back...


It's my final -- gloriously unfinished -- high school art class project! Billy (Dennis Hopper) and Wyatt (Peter Fonda) scootin' across the desert in Easy Rider. I remember there was a paperback book about the movie that had some stills in it and I was using one of those.
Then school let out and distractions abounded (many stories there; suffice here to say, I was kinda emulating these guys...), and it got set aside. Why I chopped it up for a flower picture...I was poor and out of canvas, I guess.


I've thought about that painting, that idea, many times over the years, especially since the internet, but I can't seem to find that same still shot. Maybe someday. But I never expected to find its remains on back of that masonite. I'm a little bit inspired by that, but then it's always exciting to run across old work having not seen it for years. Still...maybe someday...


That even looks a bit like Dennis Hopper, doesn't it? If you look closely you can even see some pencils lines where I sketched it in.

~

Edit 7/9/19: Cleaning out a closet at Mom's house just the other day I came across this, a preliminary sketch of the bowling ball painting:




~

No comments: